Wednesday 22 January 2014

Breadtop

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I was worried that blogging about Breadtop would make it appear that I post about every mundane thing I shove into my gob.  But I cannot let my love for their custard rolls go unsung.  Whilst I'm at it, I might as well wax lyrical about their pork floss products.  What on earth is pork floss? I hear you ask.  More on this later.
Pork Floss and Seaweed Roll in forefront.  Smiley Faced Custard Roll at rear. 
I recently noticed a new addition to their custard baked goods repertoire - the smiley face custard roll  They already do a custard donut, custard tart and a custard bun.  All good.  All very very good.  But there is something a little twee about a smiley custard face on a roll that just says Eat Me.  The bread, like all Breadtop bread is the blindingly white and disturbingly soft.  I know that bread should not be this white or this soft but tis so comfortingly squidgy.  Sure it might lack any fibre or nutritional content but it sure taste good.  The custard is a lovely texture - not too runny or claggy.  It flops nicely on the palate.  I am a custard connoisseur. 

To accompany the custard roll, may I recommend their pork floss and seaweed bun?  Pork floss is pork seasoned with a heap of salt and sugar and fried to a frisson.  The net result is a wiry substance the texture of insulation but it's a harmony of salty and sweet and meat.  The pork floss is attached to the bread roll with mayonnaise.  Strange but stick with me, it works.  There is also a smattering of seaweed strips. 

Here's a few pics of their other offerings:


The deets:

Location:
Breadtop
QV, QV Level 1, Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Ph:  03 9654 1628

Costs:
Under $5 for most rolls and buns. 

Ambience:
Mainly takeaway but seating available for a quick cuppa. 

Nom Again:
Always.  Their chiffon cupcake, pineapple bun, BBQ pork bun and naan bread are all worth the empty calories. 

Breadtop on Urbanspoon

Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...