Sunday 19 January 2014

Recipe Roadtest: Spring Onion Pancakes

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

My grandpa used to make these spring onion pancakes for me to eat as a snack. They are the most delicious things - salty, flaky, crispy.  As a kid, I ate them as an after school snack.  As an adult, I was thinking these will go down very well with a beer or two.  I was indulging in a bout of nostalgia the other day and looked up a recipe for these from A Little Taste of China cookbook which I had gathering dust in my library.  These turned out rather well and very close to what I remember them to taste like.


The recipe from A Little Taste of China is as follows:

Ingredients for 24:

  • 2 cups of plain all purpose flour
  • half tsp of salt
  • 1 tbs oil
  • 3 tbs of roasted sesame oil
  • 2 spring onions, green part only finely chopped
  • oil for frying - I used olive oil

Method:


  • Place the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add the oil and 1 cup of boiling water.  Using a wooden spoon mix to a rough dough.  Then turn the dough out onto a floured work surface to knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.  Cover the dough with a cloth and rest it for 20 minutes. 
  • On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out into a long sausage then divide the roll into 24 pieces.  Working with one piece at a time, roll one piece out to a 10cm circle.  Brush the surface with sesame oil and sprinkle with chopped spring onions.  Then starting with the edge closest to you, roll up the dough into a cigar shape (see below). Taking the cigar shape, curl it up like a snail.  Then using a rolling pin, roll the snail shape flat.  Proceed to do this will all your 24 pieces of dough.  





  • Heat up oil in a fry pan a fry a few pancakes at a time.  The outer should be crispy and the inside should come out flaky.  
Enjoy these while they are hot.  I had to slap people away to ensure I got my fair share.  They smell wonderful when frying and it is bound to bring in the vultures.  

Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...