Monday 6 January 2014

Shophouse Kitchen

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

A new place has opened in Melbourne's QV complex and I was curious to check it out as it boasted Hong Kong style food.  The place is called Shophouse Kitchen which left me a bit perplexed - do they mean Chophouse Kitchen?  I did a bit of googling and learnt that Shophouse is an architectural term for South East Asian buildings with a shop on ground level and residential apartments upstairs.  Ah, so the penny drops...

New terminology aside, I shall move on to describing the food...

I had the Grilled Pork Chop with Traditional Marinade Rice set.  This came like thus.  The pork was grilled nicely - it wasn't leathery and the marinade had a maltose like sweetness to it.  It reminded me of the BBQs in Hong Kong.  It came with an obligatory egg - nice, can't go wrong with that.  There was stir fried vegetables - can't complain and rice with a drizzling of the soy sauce run off from the roast meats on display.  This was one of the recommended dishes on the menu and I was pretty happy with it.


My sister had the Stir Fried Beef with Egg and Tomato.  That was a dud.  The beef apparently was so chewy, it was like she was chewing a cud.  I'm glad this wasn't my order!


My seven year old had the Chiu Chow Fish Ball and Fish Cake with Rice Noodles.  Apparently this place makes their own fish balls and fish cake.  They were incredibly crunchy in texture.  I know a sign of good fish ball is suppose to be firmness but this was entering the crunchy texture realm.  Mmmm, not sure whether that is a good thing.  According to the seven year old, the broth was 'ok but it tasted like cheese'.  I don't think it's suppose to taste like cheese...


I think I picked the best order out of the lot today.  Two misses out of three orders. I probably won't be coming back in a hurry.  It was a bit underwhelming.

Shophouse, Chophouse?
The deets:

Location:
Shophouse Kitchen
QV, Shop 29, 210 Lonsdale St, Melbourne  VIC 3000
ph:  03 9639 6663

Costs:
Most rice and noodle dishes are under $15.

Ambience:
Casual dining and take away.

Nom Again:
Probably not.

Shophouse Kitchen 大食家 on Urbanspoon

Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...