Friday 17 January 2014

Killiney Kopitiam on Bourke St

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

There's plenty of kopitiam or restaurants serving hawker style food cropping up in Melbourne's CBD.  Killiney is a Singaporean version.

It was reasonably priced food which tasted ok but I have had better.  Killiney makes up for the so-so food with great drinks.  We ordered:

The drinks were the star on a hot summer's day:  soya bean drink and soya bean and grass jelly
Do not dismiss the soya bean drinks as I had initially did.  I presumed it would taste like the soy milk in cartons you get in the supermarket.  But I was so wrong, in a good way.  I was delighted to realise the soya bean drink tasted like a liquid version of the Chinese dessert, Tofu Fa.  It was divine.  It was even better with the grass jelly as it added a textural element.  I would probably go back just for the drinks alone.

Bee Hoon with Rice Vermicelli
The Bee Hoon came with bean sprouts and a decent amount of fish cake.  This would have been my pick of the bunch.

Hainanese Chicken
My friend ordered this for herself.  It came with the usual accompaniment of chilli, soy sauce and soup.  I'm not a big fan of Hainanese chicken but she said it tasted ok.  Nothing too amazing.  

Fried Kway Teow
I normally love Fried Kway Teow noodles but was disappointed their version didn't come with the moreish Chinese sausages and it didn't have enough chilli kick or wok hai.  

The deets:

Killiney Kopitiam Bourke Street on Urbanspoon

Nom Again:
Just for the drinks only.

Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...