Sunday 9 February 2014

Recipe Roadtest: Ballistic Elvis Sammich

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I'm an avid fan of Man Vs Food series and was particularly enraptured by an episode featuring the Ballistic Elvis Sammich.  It looked so truly terrifying - such a mishmash of flavours, that I had to make this.  And at first I was going to eat this as a bit of a joke, but after the first few bites, I realised I LOVE it!  I get it!  I now understand the allure!


It involves the following:
  • 2 slices of bread
  • peanut butter
  • jam
  • cheese
  • chilli flakes
  • caramelised banana
  • loads of butter for frying
Here is a short clip on the creation of:





Let me explain the allure:  it is cheesy, it is salty, it is sweet, it is spicy and yes, it is buttery.
I have made it a few times since and have modified it slightly so that it is less calorific and evil.  I did this by using wholemeal bread, light peanut butter, low fat cheese, light jam and no butter.  Instead of frying it in the pan with heaps of oil, I put the whole thing including the non caramelised banana into the sandwich press.  No, it does not taste as good as the evil original but it's a lot better for my health.


Get on board with the Ballistic Elvis Sammich.  The King was right - this is seriously good.

Cheerio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...