Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Grand Tofu, Glen Waverley


Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I am sorry to say that The Grand Tofu was not all that grand.

For those who aren't familiar with the operations of a 'yeung tofu' (stuffed beancurd/tofu) place, allow me to explain:

  • A selection of beancurd and a variety of vegetables such as eggplant, okra, capsicum, etc are stuffed with seafood mince.  These are pre-made and sit refrigerated on display waiting your choice.  
  • You, the hungry nom seeker, come along and select six pieces of these stuffed goodies and select your noodles of choice - rice noodle, egg noodle, etc.  
  • You then also select your broth  - laksa, clear broth, etc.  
  • Then the 'chef'' ladles heat up your stuffed beancurd and noodles selection and ladles on the hot broth. 
It's not exactly rocket science yet I was forbidden to take any photos of the beancurd selection for you.  You would think the proprietors of The Grand Tofu were manufacturing weapons of mass destruction with the level of secrecy involved, not heating up noodles in broth.  

Since they didn't specifically forbid me to take photos of my actual dishes ordered, I snapped away discreetly as our dishes arrived.  I had the Yeung Tofu special as described above and see photo above.  I selected stuffed eggplant and stuffed beancurd with rice noodles and clear broth.  It was ok tasting.  Not remarkable in any sense.  Certainly did not warrant such hush-hushiness.  No trade secrets worth stealing here.  

We also ordered the Ipoh soup noodles.  My dear Mum who ordered this reported it tasted unexceptional.  She did remark it was a generous sized serve.  


The Grand Tofu also serves a variety of noodle and rice dishes.  Most dishes are $15 and under.  

I would not be rushing back here.  The food is very ordinary.  The service was unexceptional.  If you wanted an Asian fix, I would definitely recommend the neighbouring Waya or Straits of Malacca over this place.  

The Grand Tofu on Urbanspoon

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...