Thursday 10 April 2014

Paleo Hot Cross Buns


Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I have a love/hate relationship with hot cross buns.  That is to say that I love them to distraction and can eat half a dozen in one sitting smothered with butter.  Which brings me to hating them and myself as I ride the sugar rush that goes with consuming vast amounts of them.  This year I issued an embargo on them in my household.  I felt virtuous with a bit of self pity thrown in.  I just can't trust myself in their presence.

That was the state of play until I discovered this little gem of a recipe on online for Paleo Hot Cross Buns from I Quit Sugar.com.  See recipe here.  I road tested this recipe and followed it more or less with the omission of chocolate (I am the only person on this planet who doesn't like the stuff) and I couldn't be pfaffed about creating the cross on top but I threw the coconut flakes which would have constituted the cross into the actual batter.

I have to say they smell great baking in the oven - just how a hot cross bun would smell.  Divinely spicy.  But I don't know what happened to the texture of mine.  They turned out more like a dry crumbly cookie.  Like with many things in life, it's all about perception.  So I have decided to call mine Hot Cross Cookies and they taste great with a cup of tea.  I get the flavourings of a spice filled hot cross bun just minus the fluffy wheaty texture of the actual bun.  Oh well, the trade off is a nice cookie to dunk in my tea.  C'est la vie.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...