Friday 20 December 2013

Northbys Bakery

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

Whenever I'm driving up the idyllic and picturesque Dandenong Ranges my stomach calls out for two things:  Devonshire tea and pies because that is what the tea houses and bakeries in this area are renown for.  

Dandenong Ranges - is it wrong of me to see this and think pies?
On a recent trip to the Ranges, we discovered a new pie source, the Northbys Bakery.  They do good pies.  Good enough to rival the famous Pie In The Sky bakery which every tourist flock to.  And the great thing about Northbys is that you don't have the crazy queues in peak tourist season as you would do at the more famous pie shop. 
We ordered a few different types to take home to savour.  The pastry was light and flaky without being too doughy. 
 My favourite view of the Dandenong Ranges
 Tandoori Chicken.  I don't normally like tandoori chicken in pie form but this is a good one.  The chicken pieces were breast pieces and it had a good ratio of curry and meat. 
 

Beef Burgundy.  This would usually be my pie of choice but I didn't like this particular Beef Burgundy.  The beef whilst delightfully chunky was really tough and stringy.  I picked most of the beef out. 
 
Beef and Mushroom.  Great flavours in the sauce.  Good ratio of meat and mushrooms. 
 
Regular Mince Pie.  No complaints there.  I usually shy away from mince pies as I'm afraid of encountering gristly bits which is off putting.  But no gristly bits in this one. 
The deets:
Location:
Northbys Bakery
140 Main Road, Monbulk VIC 3793
ph: 03 9756 6536
Cost:
$4.50 per pie.
Ambience:
Takeaway
Nom Again:
Absolutely.  Would buy bulk and freeze for another day. 

Northbys bakery on Urbanspoon
Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...