Monday 24 February 2014

Potato Rosti 3 Ways




Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I love my 'taters.  You can bake them, fry them, mash them, sautee them - I've never met a potato I didn't like.  In particular I love a rosti because it's got the crispy crunchiness on the exterior and the interior can be pimped out with different flavourings.  In the picture above, I have from top to bottom:  cheese and potato rosti; spring onion and potato rosti and smoked salmon and potato rosti.

It makes for a quick light dinner, brunch addition and if you use potato starch, it's gluten free.

The basic rosti recipe I used is this:
  • 5 small to medium sized potatoes
  • 2 heaped tablespoon of potato starch
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oil for frying
Hard to estimate how many you will get as it depends on how big you make your rosti.  But the above fed 2 adults and 1 child with a few rosti leftover.  

Switch up options but to name a few - let your potato pairing creativity loose:
  • smoked salmon
  • spring onion
  • ham
  • cheese
  • chives
  • sweet potato
Method:
  • Using a food processor or manual grater, grate/shred your potatoes.  I don't bother peeling mine.  
  • Season and add the potato starch and egg to combine.  If it is a little dry, add a little milk until you achieve a gluggy thick consistency.  Add your optional extras.  
  • Heat oil in a pan and on a low - medium heat, fry the rosti for a few minutes each side until cooked through.  


Eat with abandon.

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...