Tuesday 4 February 2014

Red Robyn

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I have been meaning to try Red Robyn for awhile now.  They are a cafe in Melbourne's east which does gluten free food.  Their menu is cleverly coded so if you are anything-intolerant, you can quickly ascertain at a glance what you can eat with abandon.  

We ordered the Breakfast Nacho which isn't very photogenic but kiddo ate all of it so it must have tasted fine.  The tortilla chips are gluten free so it had a different texture - more denser and crunchier than the standard tortilla.  They also appear to be fried.  The Breakfast Nacho came with a bean mix which is mildly spicy, guacamole and a corn puree.  


Breakfast nachos
I ordered the Dukkah Eggs.  There was a lot going on here.  There was a pumpkin cornbread which sits atop of an eggplant puree.  On top of the cornbread there were grilled proscuitto, grilled tomatoes and two poached eggs.  There was also a blob of curd of some sort with a generous sprinkling of dukkah an balsamic glaze on everything.  It was an interesting dish.  As I said, lots going on it seemed like it went together harmoniously but then again, I can't really confirm this as I scoffed the plate down in 10 seconds flat.  We waited over half an hour for our order and by that stage, I was so famished, I didn't really know what I was eating as I inhaled it.

Dukkah Eggs

Dukkah eggs side view:  pumpkin cornbread, eggplant puree, proscuitto, grilled tomatoes, poached eggs, goat's curd

I couldn't say it was remarkable breakfast - it was ok.  I probably won't be going back as there are plenty of other cafes doing better breakfasts.  And since I don't actually have any food allergies or intolerances, there is no reason for me to seek this place out over any other joint.  But I could understand why for those with intolerances and allergies, this place is a go-er because you can safely eat without worry.  

I should add that the waiter serving us was very professional despite being clearly rushed off his feet as he was the only one working the floor.  If only the food came a bit quicker...

Red Robyn on Urbanspoon

Until next time, 
Nom Seeker, Glutt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...