Sunday 13 April 2014

Week Nights Spring Rolls


Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I call this one week nights spring rolls for the following reasons:

  • it's made with a Woolworth's bbq chook pillaged on the way home from work
  • it's filled with veggies so it goes into the category of nutritious everyday fare
  • it's oven baked - so no messing around with hot vats of oil after a long day at work and it also falls into the above category of healthier eats.  
  • it can be made ahead and simultaneously heated up and crisped up in the sandwich press.  I take the leftovers to work and heat them up that way.  
So what's in them?


Filling (makes about 20 large ones):
  • 2 cups of shredded chicken meat from a supermarket bbq chook
  • 1 cup of kale - I just scissor the leafy bits into slivers
  • 1 cup of cooked sweet potato, mashed.  I happened to have the purple sweet potato variety here.  I do this in the microwave for expediency
  • salt and pepper to taste
I purchased a large sized spring roll pastry from the supermarket and let this thaw whilst I fiddled about with my filling.  I also preheat the oven at 180C round about this point. The most tedious part of this whole business is peeling the pastry sheets away from the pile without ripping them. The rest is speedy.  

I roll like thus:

Then I lay the spring rolls onto a non stick baking sheet, spray with olive oil spray and bake until golden.  It takes approximately 30 minutes or so.  

Not a bad week night dinner alternative.  For a more traditional spring roll, please check this out.  

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...