Sunday, 17 November 2013

Third Wave

Hello Fellow Nom Seekers!

I am a very lucky glutton.  Today I was the +1 guest to a complementary lunch at the Third Wave. Third Wave is an interesting sort of cafe as it does a mix of Russian cuisine, Texan BBQ and the standard breakfast/brunch menu.  With such an eclectic mix, you are bound to find something to suit your mood. What is really interesting is that all this diverse food is created by a Japanese chef.  His name is Riyo Kitahara and he is the protege to the Iron Chef Sakai.

We shared a Russian sharing plate which had ricotta pancakes, a meat and mushroom blintz, potato salad and dumplings.  Mmm, it was hearty good stuff.  The ricotta pancakes were delish with blueberry jam and sour cream.  I could easily eat at least three in one sitting.   The blintz were filled with savoury yumminess.  I had a mushroom filled one and my sister had a meat one.  The potato salad had gherkin, chicken and egg in it.  Anything featuring gherkin and hard boiled eggs is a winner with me.  The dumplings were cute little nuggets and I think were made with chicken mince(?) and served with sour cream and dill. They were nice but the stars of the show, I thought were the ricotta pancakes, the potato salad and the blintz.

From top right: blintz, jam, sour cream, potato salad, ricotta pancakes

Dumplings!

Glutt by name and glutton by nature, I convinced my sister to share a raspberry and mascarpone panini for dessert.  It was made with brioche.  I cannot walk pass a brioche without eating it.  It was a perfect ending.

Raspberry and mascarpone panini

The beverages were very well made.  We had green tea and earl grey tea and a latte.




The staff were friendly and there is an easy going relaxed feel which is what you want for a Sunday brunch.  It's refreshing to find a place which does more than the usual standard brunch / cafe options.  I was surprised to also find Paleo options as well.  I have tried the Paleo diet and lasted about a week.  Part of the reason was that it was so hard to find Paleo friendly options when dining out.  So good to see a whole page of Paleo friendly items on the menu.




The deets:

Location:
Third Wave
30 Cato St, Prahran

Cost:
Most main items under $20.

Ambience:
Casual dining

Nom again:
Yes most definately.  I would like to try the Paleo options or the Texan BBQ ribs.  Salivating thinking about it.

Third Wave on Urbanspoon

Until next time,
Nom Seeker, Glutt


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...